Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"I Do Not Make This Decision Lightly" ~ Obama

At 8:00 p.m. I turned the TV to channel 2 and curled up on the couch dreading the news I was sure to come. I had watched prior Presidential speech's but even though I always knew those affected me (in some remote way) I couldn't help but feel as if they didn't really directly impact my life. Naive I know. But honestly I'm really not that politically savy.

Tonight was different. I hung on every word. Waiting for the words.....


"As cadets, you volunteered for service during this time
of danger. Some of you have fought in Afghanistan. Many will deploy there. As your Commander-in-Chief, I owe you a mission that is clearly defined, and worthy of your service. That is why, after the Afghan voting was completed, I insisted on a thorough review of our strategy. Let me be clear: there has never been an option before me that called for troop deployments before 2010, so there has been no delay or denial of resources necessary for the conduct of the war. Instead, the review has allowed me ask the hard questions, and to explore all of
the different options along with my national security team, our military and civilian leadership in Afghanistan, and with our key partners. Given the stakes involved, I owed the American people – and our troops – no less.

This review is now complete. And as Commander-in-Chief, I have determined that it is in our vital national interest to send an additional 30,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan. After 18 months, our troops will begin to come home. These are the resources that we need to seize the initiative, while building the Afghan capacity that can allow for a responsible transition of our forces out of Afghanistan."
(taken from: Obama's Speech on Afghanistan Troop Surge: 'I Do Not Make This Decision Lightly').

His speech was delivered at West Point and as the words left his mouth you could see faces fall all over the room. Like myself they had known this was what he would say but we hoped in our hearts (and prayers) that maybe, just maybe, he would decide against sending more troops.

Marine's base is near the top of the list and has been preparing for months. They are now scheduled to deploy in Feburary.

Feburary.
As in 2 months.
11 weeks.
82 days.
1,963 hours.

I'm not sure if any of you were directly affected by this speech as well, but I'm sure if you weren't you know someone that was. Please keep all our military and their families in your prayers.


"We signed up knowing the risk. Those innocent people in New York didn't go to work thinking there was any kind of risk."
Pvt. Mike Armendariz-Clark, USMC; Afghanastan, 20 September 2001
As reported on page 1 of the New York Times

3 comments:

Unwritten said...

I'm sorry to hear this. :o(
Try to make the most of the time you guys have together until then.

Date Girl said...

I agree with Unwritten. I hope that Marine doesn't have to be gone as long as projected. I think if there is anyone who can deal with the distance though, it's you.

ONE of THE GUYS said...

I'm sure this decision to send more troops was made with a heavy heart and mind. Very tough.

All of THE GUYS will be thinking of Marine and all the troops, and sending positive thoughts.

Take care.