Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Don't Blink

Call me a little nostalgic... ok perhaps I am a lot nostalgic! Or maybe I'm getting a late case of those postpartum blues I kept hearing about.... Nah I'm way to up beat for anything that has the word "blues" in it. I guess that just leaves me with the final conclusion that you really don't know how fast time flies till you become an adult and watch your own child grow.

Maddie's first birthday is approaching quickly. Which means I have been gathering ideas from Pinterest and channeling my inner Martha Stewart.

Exhibit A: The cute invitations I made. (Minus location... and the fact the pink is purple on here and all the colors are distorted... hmmm whats up with that blogger?)

Also the other night while watching The Walking Dead ( LOVE that show), I was getting pictures together from the past year of Maddie. Looking through them and seeing how fast she has grown still amazes me. Seems like just the other day I was wondering how in the world I would know what to do with a baby. 

Another thing to think about as the 12 month mark approaches is the fact that I need to start trying to wean her from a bottle and gear her more toward getting her fill from table meals. Notice I used the word 'think'. It may sound silly but I'm just not ready for her to stop taking a bottle yet. That's the last little piece of baby that remains in my 1 going on 13 little Maddie. I was talking about this last night with Marine while trying to not sound like a crazy person. I even admitted that I can kinda see why some people breast feed so long...... ok I thought that for about a split second and then changed my mind. It still creeps me out at the thought of breastfeeding a 3 year old. Now breastfeeding advocates don't get up in arms on me at that comment. I believe in breastfeeding and all the positive things that go along with it. I did it for as long as my body would allow, needless to say if I were a milk cow I would have been sent to slaughter after about the first 6 months. 

Wow I'm really all over the place here

Tonight as I get Maddie for bed we go through her normal bedtime routine. Then I fix her nighttime bottle. We settle down and I pull the blanket around us and begin to feed her the bottle. She drinks for a minute then pushes it away. I offer it to her again when she adamantly pushes it away again. I wait a minute thinking she will reach for it when she's ready. But she never reaches for it. Instead she starts stretching and squirming the way she does when she wants you to put her in her crib. 

But she hasn't had her bottle. Surely she doesn't want to go to bed without eating her bottle? I offer it to her one more time. She pushes it away slightly harder this time. 

I relent and say her bedtime prayer as I kiss her forehead and lay her down in her crib. She immediately rolls on her stomach and curls up in a ball as I place the blanket over her and she snugly pulls it around her. I hit the button on her music machine, turn off the light and exit her bedroom.

I admit I hovered at the door a minute waiting to see if she would change her mind. 

She didn't. 

Wow. When did our rolls reverse? When did she become the one weaning me? When did that sweet little baby turn into a little girl? 




"Don't Blink
Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you
Wake up and you're twenty-five and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife
Don't blink
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turning into moms and dads next thing you know your "better half"
Of fifty years is there in bed
And you're praying God takes you instead
Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think
So don't blink"
~ Kenny Chesney ~

3 comments:

Unwritten said...

I'm so happy you're blogging again. I missed hearing about your life! First let me tell you how much I LOVE The Walking Dead! What do you think Andrea is going to do? It's refreshing to see we still have things in common because I can offer NO advise when it comes to babies. But it's so lovely to hear about your adorable girl. All I can say is take the time to enjoy each moment.

phoebe said...

awwww. has it really been a year?! time flies!!

~~Mel~~ said...

I'm way late and just catching up now...but I have to say love love love the walking dead!!! And yes don't blink...next thing you know that 'baby' will be turning 12 next month. Ahhhhh.