Tuesday, April 28, 2009

For The Love of Horses

Monday I was headed to the horse sale like I have been doing every Monday night here lately. I've been in search of a new barrel horse. But just like with guys I was not prepared to settle for the first pretty face to come along. I knew what I was looking for. I had a feeling that the night would be good. I walked into the back of the sale barn stopping to look at horses as I made my way down the aisle. I looked up and there was a familiar smiling face. He wore a big grin as he said with confidence, "I found you a horse."

All my horse friends have known what I have been looking for a new horse and I have had all of them keeping an eye out for me. BB is standing next to a pretty bay filly. "My stirrups are a little long for you but get on her and rider her around." He hands me the reins.

I took the reins from him and hopped on. I liked the looks of her but looks and feel are 2 very different things. I sit balanced my legs hanging loosely as I am nowhere near as tall as BB.

"She has a good handle." BB says walking beside us as we exit the barn heading out into the bright sunshine. "And she's bred right."

"But is she is fast?" I laugh.

He smiles up at me, "I don't know I haven't asked her to be yet but I think she will be. To young to tell."

He walks over to another friend as I ride her around the sale yard. I ask her to trot and she eases into it smoothly. I touch the rein to her neck and she spins around. I like her. She is only a 2 year old and has had only 60 days of training but her potential is obvious.

I climb off of her and hand BB back the reins. "Well, what do ya think?"

I know the business well enough to know that you never let on how much you like them. In sales that always makes the cost go up. Even though BB is like family I hold my cards close, "She's nice. How much you want for her?"

We are walking back toward the barn and it is just the 2 of us. "I'm telling everyone ____ but if you want her ______." he says knocking 300 off the price.

I nod my head knowing with her breeding she is worth it but also that she is out of my price range. We talk a little longer than I wander off to check out the rest of the horses arriving. But I already know in my gut she is the one.

After some time I drift back to where she is tied up by herself. I start my inspection of her feet, her legs - checking for anything that could cause future problems. I find none. She has a sweet disposition and kind eyes. Yeah I want her.


The night goes on. I keep an eye on her and feel nervous as others stop to look at her. BB and I stand watching the sale and others coming by. "If you don't like her I'll keep looking for you," he says.


"I like her, I just can't afford her," I admit.


"Well how much can you give me for her."


"Alot less than that," I laugh honestly.


"Do you want me to keep her, or can I run her thru the sale?"

"No run her thru."


"Are you going to be mad at me if I sell her?"


He knows I want her, he saw the look in my eyes when I first lay sight on her. That love at first sight look that I have yet to have for a guy. "No I promise I won't me mad."


"If she brings ____ I can sell her?"


I laugh and punch his arm, "Yes if she brings that much you better sell her."

"If she brings more than that I'll split the difference with you and we'll put it toward finding you a barrel horse," BB grins.


"Deal."


Mom has arrived by this time and is also checking out the surroundings. We had brought a horse tonight to sell as well. One that I hoped would be a new barrel prospect but wasn't quite up to par.


The sale began and horses started going thru. My little filly was one of the first. I stood in the back waiting to ride our horse thru and Mom went into watch the filly going thru saying she would bid on her for me. BB glanced back at me as he rode into the the sale part of the barn, the door closing behind him. I sat atop my big paint unable to see the action but listening to the ramblings of the auctioneer as he rambled numbers quickly. I closed my eyes and sent a prayer up to dad telling him if I don't get her I just know that means there is another one out there I am meant to have. Then as quickly as it had begun it was over. In the muffle I couldn't tell if BB had sold her or not.


I look up and mom is coming toward me. I have a sinking feeling just knowing that she went for to much. But she smiles at me as she holds up a set of papers, "You got her." I break into a huge grin.

“A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.”

~ Pam Brown ~

1 comment: