Tuesday, April 13, 2010

It Could Always Be Worse

Wow! TMI Thursday was hit! That one post has received more hits than any other post I've ever written; just showing that people really like to hear the nitty-gritty, embarrassing stuff. Cause let's face it, reading about something stupid someone else did makes us feel a little bit better about ourselves.

You know it's true.

In the past two days I have received two phone calls from Marine - a sure sign that it will be awhile before I get another. It's amazing how happy a simple phone call can you make you. Marine is as good as can be given the situation. But then Marine doesn't really tell me anything. Something about the more you know the more you will worry --- his theory anyway. Which may be true. But really I'm going to worry regardless, so at least give me the cold hard facts.

That is where Marine1 comes in. Marine1 is the go to source for information, because for a big macho guy he likes gossip just as much as any girl I know. Well maybe that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but you get the picture.

So here is my news travel channel.

And this is only part of the network that I have found myself a part of. So really Marine, you don't stand a chance. lol

One of the guys was in a situation this last week that turned out ok, but it could have easily went the other way and not been ok. Marine1 during a call to his mom told her, who in turn called Marine-Mom, who in turn called me. The information stopped at me - seeing I'm the reasoning one of the three of us. Marine1 wasn't even 100% sure of the information so no need to pass it on and worry others needlessly.

Turns out the information was accurate.

This guy does not want his significant other to know about the situation, which puts me between a rock and a hard place. If it were me I would want to know. But at the same time its not my news to tell. Marine was aggravated that Marine1 told in the first place.

I of course tell him I'm just glad everyone is alright and remain calm, letting him know that I'm not going to freak out and go hysterical. He's pretty lucky that I'm so level-headed.

Then I try to lift his spirits by telling him funny stories from home and of things I have planned for when he returns home.

Always end on a good note.

That is a tip my Dad always said when training young horses. Its important to always end on a good note.

I think this is valuable advice, so I apply it to other aspects of life.

It was wonderful to hear his voice, and wonderful to catch up at least for a few minutes. While talking he sounds so positive.

I laugh, "you can be honest, it sucks. I know. It's ok if you say it."

I can hear the smile in his voice, "Well when I think it's bad I always think of you saying that it could always be worse."

"That's funny when I'm having a bad day here I always think about you and that you have it 100 times worse and then my day doesn't seem so bad....." I tell him jokingly.

He laughs and I can picture him smiling and shaking his head at me.

Gosh I miss him.

1 comment:

miss_kay said...

"Always end on a good note"

I like that....Lets see how it plays it out.