Monday, July 26, 2010

The Girl Who Cried Love

 Carrie: When it comes to relationships, maybe we're all in glass houses, and shouldn't throw stones. Because you can never really know. Some people are settling down, some are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less than Butterflies... 
~ Sex and the City ~

We've all heard the classic story of the boy who cried wolf but what about the girl who cried love? It to is a classic story, one that most are sure to of heard.

Currently I am experiencing it with one of my friends. She got out of a relationship, moved and was doing her own version of starting over. 

Yet every guy she meets she falls head over heals for. The first one I was all supportive about with my "everything happens for a reason" philosophy. 

That short lived relationship ended and she started seeing another guy. Same thing - instant love. 

At this point I think she has a love bug stuck in her clothes that keeps biting her. 

Guy number 2 makes it about a month or so and then the love bug's spell wears off and she ends the relationship.

This pattern has been repeated pretty consistently for almost a year now - to the point I'm thinking about sending her a can of bug spray to zap that dang love bug with (well maybe not zap but at least stun). 

I am a hopeless romantic and I want her to meet someone and be happy, but the latest guy, Mr. Fresh-21, is probably not it.

Each one she says "this time is different...."


Famous last words.


When thinking of this the Carrie quote above came to mind. Are we at the age that some are willing to settle just in hopes of not being left behind? I mean we are in PRIME childbearing years - as my friends and I are reminded quite often


My advice never settle for anything less than butterflies. You may have to kiss a lot of frogs but eventually you will find your prince. You just have to be brave enough to put yourself out there. Go on the dates. Take the chance of getting your heart broke. Learn from the mistakes. Remember the lessons you learn and keep moving forward. 


But never settle. 


Even though my friend may have a case of annoying love bug at least she's taking the chance. 


Now if I can just get her to ease up on the crying love part........



3 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

Ugh I've been guilty of doing just that in my past. I'm pretty sure we all have! It's hard not to get caught up in it. "You got me slipping, tripping, stumbling cause I'm falling in love!" Ha. I agree with you-it's good to take a chance but don't fall completely-be a little reserved, at least for a month for crying out loud.

R said...

Oh I can tell you it is NOT worth settling. Wait, wait as long as it takes to meet the right one. Or heck realize that the guy from your past might be the right one after all the frogs.

Unwritten said...

I absolutely agree. Butterflies are definitely worth waiting for. I hate thinking about those "prime childbearing years." But waiting for the right person is a lot better than bringing a child in the world with the wrong one.