Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Death By High Heels


Now I'm not one to wear heels on a daily basis. Wait let me start over, I love heels and wish that I was the type of girl who could wear them all the while walking naturally like they were apart of me. Sadly this is not the case. First off I'm a klutz. Plain and simple fact. Secondly even at my young age I have arthritis in my hips due to a sports injury in High School which makes wearing heels painful. But occasionally the girly side of me comes out and I pull out one of the few pairs of heels I own and slide them on instantly feeling a confidence boost that can only come from great shoes or the perfect purse. Come on you know what I'm talking about. For work the dress code is casual but still professional. So at least one day a week instead of slacks or a skirt I slide into a pair of jeans. And on days I wear jeans I always wear heels, you know to dress it up a bit. Don't want to look to casual.

I have on my jeans, cute grey shirt, and black heels. Perfect combination. As I go to leave work yesterday I step off the curve gracefully in my black heels...... and do a face plant in the parking lot! And I'm not talking about a graceful, lady like fall - I'm talking about the 'what the hell just happened', flailing arms, purse flying type of fall. Oh yeah. As I scrape myself off the concrete of course I am glancing around in embarrassment while scurrying to my car hoping no one has just seen my swan dive. Coast appears to be clear. So as I open my car door I take a moment to inspect my wounds. Or as I will call them today, battle scars. Yep big toe gashed opened (which bleed for an hour), scraped up bleeding knee, scrapped elbow, and scrapped hand. Oh yes 2 on the right side and 2 on the left side of my body. I'm an equal injury type of gal.

"I'm not home, but my shoes are. Leave them a message."
Carrie ~ SATC

2 comments:

Nicole said...

This sounds a little familiar. I pride myself on my ability to wear high heels on a regular basis and do it well (with the exception of the one time my beloved heels led me to the most embarassing/funniest tumble I've ever taken)! I remember it like yesterday although in actuality, it was almost five years ago. I was in undergrad and leaving class when I realized I left my umbrella. So, I, along with a friend, went back to get it. I suppose my feet got ahead me and the heel of my favorite Nine West shoes got hung in the cuff of my black wide leg pants. I stumbled for what seemed like twenty feet. I could not get my foot back on the ground to save my life! Finally, I gave in and fell to my knees but because of the momentum I'd built trying to regain my balance, I fell flat on face. And this was only AFTER my feet rolled over my head!! All I could do was lie there in utter disbelief. I could not believe what had transpired. And to add insult to injury (literally, I skinned my knee), my teacher came wobbling out of the building at what was full speed for her and yelled in her African accent, "My goodness! Are you okay? Should I call an ambulance?!" At this point, I managed to roll over and I'm lying on my back in the middle of the passageway laughing at myself. My friend has just now caught up with me. While trying (unsuccessfully) to hide her laughter, she urges me to get up. Here I am, a grown woman with a skinned knee! Luckily for me, this happened during the lunch rush so the majority of the students that normally congregate outside the building were across campus at the cafe. But still in shock, I made my way across campus to show my "battle scar" to my friends waiting inside the cafe.

phoebe said...

i know what you mean about heels... they always make me feel a little bit more girly. hope your battle wounds are ok.