Monday, February 9, 2009

Spring Fever

As the temperature has crept up the past few days I have found myself riding with the sunroof open. In doing so I believe I have caught spring fever!! The symptoms of which have me wanting to bring out the t-shirts and flip flops.

With the temperature change I can also feel my mood changing, as if the funk is lifting. What is it about winter that makes me want to hibernate? The spring air seems to awaken me, and I long to be out doing stuff! Which means the past few days have been a little hectic!

For some reason I think I got home late Thursday...... because I just remember come Friday I hadn't had much sleep...... oh well, don't really remember. Anyway. So Friday I go to office job (Job #1) then leave there at 5, to head to Sports Bar (Job #2) where I work for a few hours then as it slows I frantically do my end of the night routine. When this is done I all but sprint to the parking lot; jumping in the 4runner and getting it cranked before I even have the door closed. Ok maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But time is of the essence. Or so I think as I head south only stopping long enough to pick up Vivi. We were en route to a club that one of our favorite singers was playing at.

45 minute drive later we pull into the club. Only to find the line outrageously long!!!

We knew we'd miss the opening band...... so the crowd should be gone by now....... wrong!Apparently Ticketmaster had a major goof up!!

Never being ones to call it quits we merely go to plan B. Ok we didn't really have a plan B, but we think quick on our feet.... Down the road is a place we visited in college. The drinks are cheap, atmosphere great and Friday brings the guarantee of live music. We grab seats at the bar, the night is late but I take a chance and text a friend from college to see if she is in town. Vivi and I haven't seen her in about two years, luck would have it she was in town and was quick to accept the invitation to meet up. The night past quickly as we hung out with her and some of her friends. I was the DD and sipped on Dr. Pepper as we mingled listening to funny stories and sharing some of our own. Vivi had had a long week and if anyone needed a drink I knew it was her. But after she threw back a Sex with an Alligator, I knew it was time to head out.

On the way home I realize it is after 3 a.m. and I'm starving! I'm sober, tired, and hungry. Then like a light at the end of the tunnel I see those brightly lit golden arches! Ah I had it my way!

Saturday morning I was awoken by Vixen standing over me asking how hungover I was. Not trying to be subtle in the least it was obvious she hoped my head was pounding so that she may gain amusement by torturing me slowly. A look of disappointment washed over her face upon learning I had been the DD but it quickly gave way to a look of delight as she moved on to her next victim. The next thing I hear is Vivi mumble in her drunk-sleep-induced-state to the dog, "Please do not lay on my face...." at which I hear Vixen snicker. Ah the joys of friendship. Can't be to mad though cause after the short torture test she did cook breakfast. So it kinda balanced each other out.

After eating I headed to the barn. It was to pretty of a day to be inside. Once at the barn I passed up my barrel horse and headed to the stall of my retired barrel horse. She is 23 and I call her retired because due to arthritis I have not ridden her in about 2 years. Thanks to glucosamine though she has been feeling better and with the warm spring day I figure she can at least handle a short ride. It was great!! I have had many horses over the years, but none can hold a candle to her. She is my pride and joy. As we rode thru the woods, the wind rustling my hair slightly I feel free. Happy. It made me long for years past when we were both younger and arthritis didn't hinder her. There will never be another one like her.

“I can make a General in five minutes but a good horse is hard to replace.”

~ Abraham Lincoln ~

2 comments:

Joe said...

That's so cool you get to ride horses on a nice spring day. Spring is cool, but summer is better.

phoebe said...

that sounds great. relaxing. a nice way to unleash everything that had been weighing on your mind.