Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Southern Charm

Sunday my grandparents (dad's parents) came to visit from out of town. Mom, my other Grandpa, and I met them in town for lunch. As we sit visiting things are going smoothly. I am done with my lunch and after the second Dr. Pepper I have to excuse myself and head for the restroom.


In complete Southern manner as soon as I leave the table I become the main topic of conversation as I'm sure the questions are fired at my mom like a machine gun unloading.... :

How is she really doing? Still so sad about her and X (shake of head here). She looks good. Maybe lost some weight. Sure that has to do with all the stress (tisk, tisk). Still not seeing anyone huh? Well she's smart and beautiful she'll find someone. Has she checked into school anymore? So sad no kids in the near the future.

No I was not at the table but I can guess. As soon as my grandma glances me coming she quickly changes the subject as if to appear they haven't been talking about me. And in accordance to Southern charm.... I pretend not to notice as I take my seat beside her.


But I don't want the pity. I don't want them to think I'm still barely getting by. I love my Grandma and I long to tell her about Marine2..... something I have still not even really told my mom about. I mean let's not get their hopes up.

As we walk thru the barn my Granddad and mom discussing horses and bloodlines I slip my hand under my Grandma's arm and slow her down so that the other two get ahead of us and out of earshot.


With a smile I tell her about Marine2. I tell her its still early but that I really like him and then I show her a picture from the weekend trip that I have on the blackberry. She heaves a sigh of relief (I mean what southern girl can be truly happy without a man?...... sense the sarcasm).

In all seriousness though she seems happy for me. Yet still adds the comment about X, "Well I just never would have thought. After ya'll had been together for so long...." **Snap, Snap** Focus Grandma! Back to topic!!


I tell her not to tell my Granddad because it's still to soon and may turn into nothing..... but at least maybe now she can sleep easy at night.


Why is that older generations think that by 25 you need to be married with at least a kid on the way?? Or is that just good 'ol Southern values at work?


"Soul mates only exist in the Hallmark aisle of Duane Reade Drugs."
~ Miranda, SATC ~

2 comments:

Joe said...

I have no idea, but I was just scared when someone asked me how would I feel if I was 41 and still single....Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Date Girl said...

I don't think it's just Southern values. My grandparents on my Dad's side of the family are the exact same way. Except not only should you be married, but barefoot and pregnant, and career women are freaks. ARGH!!!