Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Reflection

I realized this weekend that I need to start working out. BIG TIME. It is becoming obvious that the metabolism of the early 20's is starting to run thin and that I can no longer rely on my body to just.... well...... look good on its own (something I have been very fortunate up to this point to do). Now don't get me wrong I've always been athletic. I ride horses, I walk, I exercise occasionally ~ ok I go thru spells where I exercise occasionally, obviously this is an off spell. And I have always been blessed, because I stay active, to remain on the thin side. Not that I'm saying I'm over weight ~ more like not toned.

My closet doors are mirrors. Two gigantic mirrors. I don't remember the exact circumstances but I was standing at the foot of the bed (in front of the mirrors) and Marine wrapped his arms around me. I was in my pajama's...... ok that's a lie...... but I'm trying to keep my face from turning flaming red here. Anyway you get the idea.

Marine leans down and kisses me on the head and then rests his chin on top of my head as he hugs me. My head turns and I see the reflections in the mirror.... Imagine a perfectly sculpted Greek statue........ Perfect curves, perfectly sculpted abs, rippling muscles, no flaws - WHATSOEVER..... Yeah that's Marine. My eyes drift to the other reflection and I notice the dimples on the backs of my thighs that I don't really remember ever being there before, what is that? My eyes squint focusing a little more... is that cellulite?!! EEEKKK!!! It is!!! And what happened to those great calf muscles I used to have?? They seem to have disappeared..... and then there's the pudge - that little bit of stomach flab that no matter how hard you try you just can't seem to get rid of..... yeah that's me.

And yes this all went thru my head in the 30 seconds that we stood there. Along with the thought of "what does he see in me?" And "man I GOT to start back exercising". I mean if I'm going to date a younger guy I need to stay in shape like a early twenties girl. Dang stupid aging process. Why can't I go back to the days of eating all I want and not having to worry?



Ted, "You go to a gym, don't you?"
Barney, "I go to World Fitness, but I don't go to work out."
Ted, "You don't?"
Barney, "No, I go to invest."
Barney, [at the gym] "There's one of my investments. Hey, Sheila! Looking good!"
Ted, "You invest in women?"
Barney, "I invest in women who - How can I put this delicately? - They fat! I give them the attention they don't get now, and when they get hot, who do they come to? The guy who gave them attention back when they weren't."
Ted, "I don't know if I should be disgusted or impressed."
~ How I Met Your Mother ~

2 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

Ack, I've been feeling the same way lately. Match is so toned, and while I'm toned, I defintely have a bit of flab over that muscle, esp on my tummy. Stupid slow metabolism! I'm trying to get motivated, but its tough when I'm so tired at the end of the day. I'm thinking of getting a wii fit for those nights when I have just a lil time for exercise. That or maybe I just need more hours in the day! Good luck w/getting in shape. I'll motivate you if you do the same for me!

phoebe said...

we are all in the same club! haha... but... we do have boys that love us for who we are... don't forget that...