Sunday, March 8, 2009

Part 1 ~ Somethings Never Change

They say life goes by in the blink of an eye. Never had I really agreed with that statement till this past week. With the return of Marine1 my eight hours of sleep per night ratio has greatly decreased to the point of almost non-existent.

Friday night after work I met up with Vixen and we headed to an early birthday party that was being thrown for Marine1. It was nice to see some friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. Everyone was in a good mood, laughing and having fun. We had just arrived when the boys realized they were in need of more beer. I have just walked thru the door and not had a drink so I offer to make a liquor store run with JC. But. Oh there is always a but. "I'll go but I want to drive your car," I smile to Marine1. He laughs as he pulls the keys out of his pocket and tosses them to me. Everyone in the room stops and stares.

One of his buddies questions, "Your letting her drive your car?"
"She can drive it anytime she wants," Marine 1 states matter of factly.

Hell yeah. lol

JC that went out with us the other night backs it up, "she can drive."
I see the looks on a few faces ~ skeptical, surprised, curious. I mean I'm a five-foot flat, blue eyed, dirty blonde, dressed up and wearing heals. Apparently I do not look like I can handle 690 horsepower. Hah. I climb behind the wheel sliding the seat all the way up. Yeah for me to push the clutch in I have to sit on the steering wheel, only minor drawback. JC gets in the passenger seat closes the door. I shift into reverse at the same time there is a knock on the window. PL stands there grinning asking if he can go. JC gets out and lets him crawl into the back and we are off. It was a quick trip. One minor wrong turn, at times like that I'm reminded it's not about the destination, it's about the ride.

The evening progressed; the candles were lit on the cupcakes and we sang happy birthday ~ and it wouldn't be a birthday without someone getting cake smashed in their face.

Vivi left early with a headache and Vixen and I easily lost track of time. When we were ready to go Marine1 says he is going with us. Ok that's fine he can crash on the couch. Three of his/our friends want to come to. What the heck. I climb in the 4runner, PL claims the passenger seat and Vixen and 2 of the boys climb in the back. No Marine1. We wait.... we wait..... not sure really what happened. But we left minus Marine1. So me, Vixen and 3 of our GuyFriends. We sing along with the radio and laugh. PL tries to have some conversation with me but its to late (or early) and I am just concentrating on getting us home.

We arrive at the house it's past 3. Vivi is asleep. "E snores she's not sleeping with us." Vixen states.

I don't argue as I head to the spare bedroom to blow up the air mattress. Vixen says one of the boys can sleep with her and Vivi ~ The other two can share the air mattress with me.... DMOF (will explain this choice of name later) is the chosen one and he and Vixen cross the hall to her bedroom. JC, PL and I finish blowing up the air mattress. I'm told that I have to sleep in the middle.

They have both had a good bit to drink so I expect them to pass out quickly. I lay there almost asleep when I feel a hand start rubbing my arm. It is PL. I have not hung out with PL in many years. I would like to say that his dark brown eyes no longer intrigue me, but that would be a lie. I push his hand away but as I do his fingers tighten around mine. I try to pull my hand back but he holds on tight. I know better. I should have gotten up and ran. Left the comfy air mattress and headed for the couch. But no stupid, stupid-nice-to-have-your-hand-held me lays there and drifts off to sleep. I awake in what seems like only a few minutes. Instead of holding my hand PL now has his arm around me. I realize JC is MIA. Apparently he couldn't handle the snoring and left for the couch.

Easily I try to scoot out from under PL's arm to the safety of the open space. No such luck. The attempted escape awakens him. He tries to pull me close but I pull away. In a surprise move since I won't come to him he comes to me. He wraps his arms around me and kisses me on the forehead. As I push slightly he moves back to his side and leaves me on mine. Maybe I should mention here PL has a on/off again girlfriend. I don't know if they are on or off either way I'm not that kinda girl. And he is not that type of guy. We have both had drinks but that is no excuse. So in the dark we lay there and talk. Somewhere in the conversation we both drifted off.

The last time I looked at the clock it was 5:50.... the alarm was set for 6:45. Needless to say as I dragged into work Saturday morning I was not feeling so much like my normal cheery-morning self.

Oh PL what a flashback. PL, like Big and X, is a guy that will always hold a piece of my heart. One that I never got back. Nor did I want it back. As we lay there and talked about old times. Old dates. It was funny to see how things have changed, yet no matter how much things change ~ somethings will never change.

To be continued....

"You know what the craziest thing is? I actually thought after everything I've been through, I might end up with my high school boyfriend. Yeah, I don't think my story's gonna get tied up like that."

~ Carrie, SATC ~

No comments: