Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Don't Care About Your Band


I've always known that I'm naive. And I have faced the fact that I had a very sheltered childhood.

But wow.

I never realized how naive I really was till I started reading I Don't Care about Your Band, in which Julie Klausner tells: "What I've learned from Indie Rockers, Trust Funders, Felons, Faux Sensitive Hipsters, and other guys I've dated."

She talks about growing up and her first experiences with Adult magazines - I think she was in Middle School.

I was at least 18 when I saw my first Play Boy up close and personal. My best guy friend/ big brother figure was 22. Me and some girl friends were over at his house, as I was most summer days. Long story short; he was at work, we found it, flipped thru it and shared some giggles.

She goes on to tell about the guys from over the years; The lessons she learned and funny stories that relate.

Some stories make you laugh out loud, others made me question my own life and ponder again just how sheltered and innocent I possibly am. And I'll be honest some of the stories were so disgusting they made me want to gag. But for some reason no matter what happened I couldn't put the book down and walk away. I had to know what happened next.

She talks about the guys we all date or want to date. For example: The musician -" Crushing on musicians is a phase most straight girls go through, and some never get over."

Yep, been there done that.

Developed a crush on a guy just because he could play the guitar and sing. Without the guitar.... yeah not so much. But when he would pick up that guitar and begin to play I couldn't help but become memorized. It was just so darn sexy!

Needless to say we went on a date.

Without the guitar.

And the attraction just wasn't there. He was nice, said and did all the right things - but it was obvious to me he would always remain in the friend box. At the time I thought - what a shame. I mean who doesn't want a guy to write her love songs and play them before going to bed.

So now for the exciting part---- Are you ready?

I'm doing my first giveaway!!!!

One lucky reader will receive a free (FREE) copy of Julie Klausner's book. And the rest of you..... yeah your going to have to go out and buy it. But believe me, you'll be glad you did.

SO to enter the giveaway you must leave a comment on this post. Easy enough.

And if you so choose I would like you to tell me about someone you dated that fit into a stereotype category. You know what I mean everyones done it! - The jock, the musician, the guy who's questioning their sexuality..... you get the picture. This is not a requirement to enter, but I would love to hear your stories!!

I will run the contest till April 1st. (also if your an anonymous blogger and win thats ok! All information can be kept anonymous - contact me at lifeofasinglegirl@gmail.com for more details)

Thanks everybody! Good luck!


3 comments:

Aurora said...

I’ve always known that I’m attracted to bad boys.
There’s something about them. Pheromones. Danger. Sex Appeal. Confidence. Sure, they come with a their warning label. We know they’re “just not that into us” though they are into our panties. But we enjoy the feeling of being treated like a seductive siren almost as much as we enjoy bragging about it the morning after. Not only are these bad boys extremely handsome and charming, but they dangle a brass ring in our lustful faces. We just might be “The One” to tame these wild stallions.
After years of feeling invisible to men due to my weight problem, it was an incredible feeling to suddenly have men find my body arousing, and objectify me the way that they did Victoria’s Secret models or Maxim cover girls. Pre-weight loss, I used to theorize that my personality was more than enough to attract a man, if only he could look past my larger size. When I lost 100 pounds, and suddenly men suddenly started becoming so interested in me, I suddenly didn’t care what men thought of my brain or my personality. For several years, as I explored my newfound sexuality, it was hard to overcome how incredible it felt to be wanted for your body instead of your mind. I felt an incredible rush of power when I realized I could convince men to order me drinks, send me flowers, and fight each other over my affections. I had never been this in control before.
At least, I thought I was in control. There is something strangely empowering about learning you can make a man’s eyes darken with desire from intentionally deep necklines, the provocative way you sip your drink, and the passive-aggressive way you conduct yourself with them. Seducing a bad boy is an addictive game. Be too forward? You’re too easy for a bad boy. Act too cold and you appear disinterested. The power is in the balance of two, of making him desire you enough to chase you, and being far enough away so you have to be chased. In the heat of the moment, that feels like control.
What you don’t realize is the bad boy is really the one in control. He is the one who has convinced you to dress the way that turns him on, act the way he wants women to act, and make it easy for him to know that the pursuit is really just a ruse. He never relinquishes power, though he seems to give it to you with a few artfully turned words, scintillating smiles, and quick winks of soulful eyes.
I know that now. The only thing I knew then was that Chase was a bad boy.

Anonymous said...

Vivi ~ you know the guys of I've dated lol

Crystal said...

Yikes, I hope I'm not too late to enter! I totally have a thing for boys in bands, especially guitarists. I haven't actually dated one yet, but they are like kryptonite! All weak knees, and I turn into a teenager!