Monday, March 22, 2010

The Power of a Letter


Funny how a simple piece of mail can evoke such emotion.

Today I received my first letter from Marine!

I go to the post office daily, the postal employees know me by name - that is how many times a week they see me.

The letter is dated March 7th.

Even with the delay though I am just overjoyed to see his handwriting.

Up until first of last week we were able to chat occasionally (and briefly) on Facebook. But from here on out its old fashioned letters.

In a sense its romantic if you stop and think about it. Like the plot line from a classic movie. It makes me think about my Grandparents, and I wonder if during WWII my grandpa wrote to my grandma in much the same way. This is a question I wish I would have asked back when I had the chance. Hard to believe it's been nearly three months since he passed away. Still really doesn't seem real.

The letters remind me of days past when people actually wrote letters. Today with email and Facebook no one sends letters anymore. We expect news immediately. Who has time to wait for a letter?

I have time. That's all I have is time. For 7 months - it seems.

I am so happy to have received the letter. Who knew a piece of paper could bring so much joy?

In life I think you never really stop learning. Some lessons are obvious; others though seem to happen over time and you don't realize at the time that you are learning something until one day when you stop and think about it.

This experience has taught me so much. I am so much more appreciative now. I am more understanding. -- to name a few.

Having a bad day now doesn't seem so bad. If I'm having a bad day I always try to think about Marine and I know that no matter how bad my day is it can't be nearly as bad as his. I mean at least I have water to take a shower.

Funny how much a simple letter can make you realize.



Kathleen Kelly, [writing to "NY152"] Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void.

~ You've Got Mail ~


3 comments:

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awww... how sweet. But really, I do hope he comes home soon, that way instead of writing you a letter he could tell you everything personally. I do miss the old days though, I loved writing letters and receiving letters, it was definitely a nice way to keep in touch. Actually, now that I think about it, I remember having shoe boxes stuffed with letters from old friends. I wonder what happened to it.

E said...

Thanks Mel! He actually won't be home till October. And as he said before he left this is not one of those things you want to come home early from ~ if you come home early means something is wrong.

And come to think about it I used to have a shoebox of letters to.... I may have to try and dig it out. No telling what me and my friends said back in the day :)

Thanks for the comment!

One of The Guys said...

What a touching and well written post E.

I miss letters. I really do. However, I doubt I'll write another one besides a thank you. It's one of those special things that has fallen out of our lives. And most people haven't even noticed.
Thanks for noticing.

And I'm glad you got a letter from Marine! So exciting!!!