Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Temptation ~ A Glance Back At The 'Big' Days Of My Life

So I was flipping thru old post that were labeled as draft. Stuff I never saw fit to publish... And I came across a draft from 8/13/08 that just contained this quote:

Mary Alice: "Temptation comes to all of us. Whether or not we succumb depends on our ability to recognize its disguise. Sometimes it arrives in the form of an old flame, flickering back to life. Or a new friend who could end up being so much more. Or a young child who awakens feelings we didn't know we had. And so we give in to temptation, all the while knowing come morning, we'll have to suffer the consequences." (Desperate Housewives)


Temptation.

We've all given in to it at some point or other I'm sure. So I decided to examine the post I had published around this date. And fittingly I found this quote tucked among the Mr. Big Chapter of my life. Seriously, what was I thinking?!

I know what I was thinking. I wanted to be happy. And Big reminded me of a time in my life when I had been young, carefree, and happy. The 25 year old longed for that 16 year old girl happiness again.

Of course Big wasn't the answer. I knew that even then. But temptation.... awe sweet temptation ~ it was fun, it was living in the moment, it was laughing, it was not caring about the future. At that point in my life it was just what I needed. And believe it or not I'm grateful to Big for those stolen moments.

They make me appreciate what I have know with Marine so much more!

Mr. Big may have made that 16 year old girl happy all those years ago.... but he was no match for the 27 year old woman I've become.

Funny how life works out. Sometimes what you think you need.... well it is what you need...... but for different reasons than what you thought. I thought I needed Big at the time. And I did need him. I need his friendship to help me thru a dark point in my life. But I also needed him to later make me appreciate the man that would fill the shoes that Big just couldn't quite ever step in to.

Temptation.... it can come in so many forms. Attraction for the opposite sex or a lusting look at those shoes you know you shouldn't spend that much money on but just scream "BUY ME". Yes, temptation comes in many forms, how you handle it - perhaps that is what shapes you.

What is a temptation you have given into?


1 comment:

One of The Guys said...

I give in to dark chocolate every time I go in the kitchen.

But serious temptation, hmm....I can't really say. Maybe the people were temptations but I didn't view them as temptations. Is that what living in the moment is like?