Saturday, January 31, 2009

You've Got To Be Kidding Me

Apparently there is a tattoo somewhere on my forehead that only guys can see. I think it says Sucker..... or something along those lines. Anyone know how I can get that off???


Last night I was working at Sports Bar and my phone goes off. It was Cute Smile Guy calling but I was to hectic to answer. A minute later I get a text asking what I'm doing. Way to busy to reply anything lengthily I send back a quick "I'm at Sports Bar". About thirty minutes later he and his friend show up. I smile slightly surprised and pause for a moment to talk with him. He asked if I wanted to get a drink when I got off work. I accepted the offer and told him I'd call him.

Fast forward.....

When I get off work I call him and he tells me he is at another bar down the street. A girl friend that works with me at Sports Bar, and I head over to meet up with him and his friend. Upon arrival of course I have to make the rounds saying hi to everyone, and then finally make my way to his table. We talk for a minute then Girl Friend pulls me away in conversation with someone else. As I turn back to Cute Smile Guy he motions to an empty stool beside him. I sit down and we talk a moment, then he says "I need to be honest with you." Not sure where this is going, "Ok....." He then proceeds to tell me he has a girlfriend. Yes you heard me right. He tells me its over, they both know its over but that due to a lease that has not yet run out the situation is a little complicated.


Go freaking figure. At this point I really don't know what to say. But that's ok the part of me that doesn't think before the words come flowing out apparently knows exactly what to say, "So if you have a girlfriend why did you call? Why did you ask me to hang out?"


He proceeds to tell me he was attracted to me and thought I was a nice a girl and wanted to get to know me. Then he basically chalked us meeting up as bad timing. I tell him I appreciate his honesty. Meanwhile having the internal debate if it was a good thing he was honest.... I mean he's from out of town if he hadn't told me the chances of me finding out really weren't that high. Or was he a scumbag for calling in the first place? "When I'm single can I call you?" He asks. The debate still going on in my head I'm not sure what to say. "Maybe," that's the best I could do thinking that if he called then I would decide if I would answer or not. He apologizes profusely. I tell him I'm not mad. We talk a minute longer and then I do what any wise girl would do; I ran like hell!


I'm about to leave when a ghost from the past comes up behind me and wraps me in a bear hug. I turn to see a familiar face that I have not seen in well over a year. Growing up he was always my bodyguard, that great guy friend that always made sure I was taken care of. And probably one of the reasons I didn't date much in High School, now that I come to think about it. Anyway he was my friend first but once X and I started dating I kinda forced BG and X to be friends. Which they did. After X and I split BG was one of the ones I lost touch with. So he was a great sight for sore eyes. I tell him I'm leaving which he quickly dismisses as he hands me the beer he has already ordered for me. We sit and talk, catching up and laughing about old times. He tells me his girlfriend is out on a girls night so he came out with some of his guy friends. I'm thrilled to hear him and his girlfriend are doing well because I always thought they were well suited and besides myself she is probably the only girl on earth that could put up with him!!

I stayed longer than I intended and a quick glance at the clock told me it was past time to head home. BG walked me to car, I thank him for the drink, and with a hug I was gone. During the drive home I think about the night and how much of a disappointment Cute Smile Guy had been. Oh well strike one.

Once home I'm in bed and nearly asleep when my phone goes off. It's a text from BG, "you really make me think about what I want in life I have been after you for at least eight years sometimes I feel like we are destined for one another but I don't want it to be as simple as 'thanx for the drink' I feel like we have something more....." (It goes on but you get the gist). I stare at the display in shock. I never knew he had feelings for me. I thought we were just friends. I mean that's all we've ever been. Looking back I can see the times when he may have insinuated wanting more but at the time I never realized it.

Me: "I don't know what to say....."
BG: "Me either I have a good thing goin but I feel like it could be better with you."

I still don't know what to say. Growing up I always had tons of guy friends and they were just that, guy friends. Or at least that is what I thought. But within the past 6 months now 3 of the them have admitted to having feelings for me at one point or another. What gives? And why the hell is it that apparently every guy that has a girlfriend is now attracted to me???? I'm not that kinda girl. But really Cute Smile Guy and BG both admitting feelings for me in one night both having girlfriends. I did the right thing and walked away, but I can't help but wander if this is some test to my karma or something. Can't I just find a nice, cute, single guy?? There are still some of those out there, right??

"The misery! The exquisite tragedy! The Susan Hayward of it all!"
~ George, My Best Friend's Wedding ~

2 comments:

Joe said...

WOW is all I can say!!!

Niki said...

"Can't I just find a nice, cute, single guy?? There are still some of those out there, right??"

If there are, they must be in hiding because I can't find any.

Being friends with guys is hard. Almost all my friends are guys and at one point or another there's always been some kind of feeling there other than friendship.