Monday, December 8, 2008

Mind Over Matter

Saturday night I worked at Sports Bar, it was a slow night making me wish that I could have gone with Giggles and her boyfriend to look at Christmas lights. But I made some money and some is better than none. Well for passing on two fun events (the big game last week, Christmas lights this week) the Fun Gods decided to smile upon me with a great opportunity for Sunday.


Punk-Rock-Chick invited me to go snowboarding, of course I told her I was broke and didn't have the extra money.... and then the good news.... Lift tickets are normally $51 but Sunday if you brought 10 can goods to donate you got your lift ticket free. I could afford that.... hmm... but what about a board? Punk-Rock-Chick had already taken care of it and already asked a friend if I could borrow their extra board. All I had to do was say yes. And I did!!! Very excitedly!! I still needed the pants and jacket though.... So I called Vixen to see if she wanted to go and if I could borrow her extra pair. Of course she said yes. So Sunday morning at 6:30 our small group was pulling out of town to make the 2.5 hour drive north.


I have always wanted to go snowboarding and Vixen invites me every year but I've never been able to go. Once there Punk-Rock-Chicks boyfriend tried to give me some pointers and held my hands as we went down the hill together my first time. I realized quickly the best way to learn was to just get out there and do it. So we hopped on the lift and headed up. I had a blast!! It was so much fun! And apparently for a beginner I'm a pro. Everyone told me I did so good for my first time, Vixen even admitted I did better than her the first time she tried it. This made me feel good and gave me the confidence to head a little further up the mountain with them. I left that day definitely addicted and wanting to go back!

I'm very athletic and have learned over the years that you just have to be confident in yourself and your abilities. On the drive up Vixen asked if I was nervous, I honestly told her no. The way I saw it, in my mind I could already do this ~ I figured it couldn't be that much different from wakeboarding (boy was I wrong). It was different but same basic principle = balance is key! All it takes to succeed is mind over matter. If I tell myself I can do something, I do it cause there is no other option. That always works for me anyway.



"Don't fear failure so much that you refuse to try new things. The saddest summary of a life contains three descriptions: could have, might have, and should have."
~ Unknown ~

2 comments:

phoebe said...

oooh. sounds like so much fun. i've never hit the slopes before... perhaps one day!

E said...

Yes you should try it! Your being farther north I'm sure the snow would be softer!