Monday, April 18, 2011

Never Judge A Book {of anything} By It's Cover

Ok so I'm going to go ahead and admit it. I sometimes judge books by their cover.

Shocking. I know.

But it's true.

I did the same thing with this job opportunity.

Nurse Betty road down with me cause we planned on going shopping afterward.

As we pulled into the parking lot I was dreading the interview so bad asking Nurse Betty how to turn them down nicely even.

I was a total Negative Nancy. In my mind I already knew this was something I would hate and I was prepared to say No no matter what was said.

The only reason I was doing the interview was because Blondie recommended me and I didn't want to be rude or make her look bad. I was fully prepared with my excuse being the drive and gas prices.

Let's just say I was in for a BIG surprise!

The Boss Lady (who is not much older than me) was super nice and extremely impressed by my resume apparently. She matched everything I said I had a my current job plus offered me a pay raise along with an extra bump an hour to cover gas. When I still seemed on the fence she pulled out the big guns offering me another week's vacation on top of the other two she had already offered.

All of this plus heath insurance coverage for myself and Marine...... yeah the deal was looking pretty sweet.

But what about the job?

I'm sad to say I wasn't even really sure what job I was interviewing for!

She explained the job and even gave me a quick overview of the computer system. It didn't seem that bad and actually sounded ok.

Of course I was prepared with a list of questions; such as room for advancement and job security. Both were positive responses.

At my current job I'm pretty much maxed out with no room left for advancement. But I like my job and I love the people I work with.

The interview went good and I was offered the job. I asked her if I could think about it over the weekend and let her know.

She said of course and then said, "I understand you like your job now and are hesitant to leave for something you're not even sure you would like......" {wow was she a mind reader or what} "so how bout you come in and observe one day and see if you think it's a job you would like then you can give me a response."

I liked the idea of that....... So tomorrow afternoon I'm going to go down and observe and get a feel for it.

As of now, as long as tomorrow goes good, I think I'm going to accept the job.

The commute will suck..... the hours are 8:30 to 5:30 so that means I will leave my house by 7 a.m. and get home about 7:00 p.m. When you look at it that way it totally sucks! But I'm no stranger to commuting. I commuted to college for 5 years 4 days a week and I made it fine. So this shouldn't be any different, in fact its a shorter commute even!!

It may not be the ideal situation but for right now I think it is the best decision for Marine and I. I really do think it's a job I would like and the steady 40 hours a week, pay raise, and insurance would be great!!!

I'm glad I went to the interview and didn't just blow it off. Just goes to show you things may not always be as they appear.......

The job I'm at now was supposed to be temporary and then I got in that comfort zone so I figure that if I take the new job and I'm there a year and don't like it then I will at least have the "fear" to go find a job I do like.

I got to stop thinking negative though and start thinking positive!!





Rachel: I'm training to be better at a job that I hate. My life officially sucks.

Joey: Look Rach, wasn't this supposed to a temporary thing? I thought you wanted to do fashion stuff?
Rachel: Well, yeah! I'm still pursuing that.
Chandler: How... exactly are you pursuing that? Ya know, other than sending out resumes like, what, two years ago?
Rachel: Well, I'm also sending out.... good thoughts.
Joey: If you ask me, as long as you got this job, you've got nothing pushing you to get another one. You need the fear.
Rachel: The fear?
Chandler: He's right, if you quit this job, you then have motivation to go after a job you really want.
Rachel: Well then how come you're still at a job that you hate, I mean why don't you quit and get "the fear?"
(Chandler and Joey both start laughing)
Chandler: Because, I'm too afraid.
~Friends~

3 comments:

Mrs. Match said...

Wow, that's awesome. I like that she's giving you the option to shadow for a day and see if you like it.

The commute sounds rough. Is there any way they can change the hours? When I started at my old job, I lived an hour away so they let me come in 7am-4pm after I'd been there a few weeks. It helped the commute a lot. But either way there are always books on cd from the library. They are a life saver!!

Good luck with your decision, and I think you might be right, this might be the best thing for right now.

phoebe said...

it sure does sound better than the first description... pay raise. extra pay for gas... it all sounds really great--except for the commute.. but if that's the only negative, then rock on.

you have to do what's best for you and marine... and if a pay raise and insurance is it, then you have to do it. keep us posted and good luck!!

One of The Guys said...

And life is so often that way. You never know what might happen if you just say yes, or show up.

This might be confusing but at least you have a choice. Choices are good. Lots of people don't have any.

Congrats no matter what you decide to do.