Sunday, November 9, 2008

Excitement, Adrenaline..... Free

Allow me to curse Bloggers auto save ~ I had written a blog post and even though I hit save numerous times the blog was lost before I could post it..... GREAT! So I will try to recreate it....

As I took the helmet from his outstretched hand I felt excitement, adrenaline, and apprehension run thru my body. I placed the helmet on my head and tilted my chin upward as X adjusted the chin strap for me. X had asked me yesterday if we could hang out today. Having no other plans I agreed. When X and I split he went thru what I tell him was an early midlife crises. In which he did things I never let him do; he got a new tattoo, bought a motorcycle, and a sports car. Now the sports car I would have went for but the other two..... no way. With the turning over of a new leaf however I should be willing to try new things. So when X called this morning and asked if I wanted to go riding I accepted. I mean after all it was a beautiful day out.

I approached the bike and swung on behind X. This was my first time on a bike.... I wrapped my arms around X's midsection and we were off. I tried to keep my mind clear and free from panic. The borrowed helmet was slightly big and frustrated me. As we rode along I found myself enjoying the ride...... and yes this slightly surprised me. I wasn't afraid like I had thought I would be. As the cold fall air whipped around me I felt free. It was exhilarating! We rode over the mountain stopping at overlooks so that I could take pictures of the mountains and the changing leaves. At one of the overlooks X took the camera from me and asked another leaf looker if he would take our picture. There we stood arms around each other, helmets on, smiling with the mountains behind us. I had missed this. The Sunday afternoons when it was just us and we would do anything and everything.

We rode for about an hour and then stopped for a late lunch. We were both cold and had not dressed warmly enough for the cool fall air. So we stopped at the mall and went in search of a long sleeve shirt I could put on under my sweatshirt. As we walked thru the mall X took my hand in his. A warm feeling rushed over me and once again made me long for days past. If I could go back. Sigh. I would do so many things differently! After we both found long sleeve shirts we headed back out into the cool air.

The ride home was cold. As I leaned against X, my arms wrapped around him, my hands in his jacket pockets I couldn't help think how happy I was. I was having so much fun! So much more fun than I thought I would have! All to soon we were back at the house and X was hugging me goodbye. It was almost dark and he wanted to get home before it got dark and even more cold! I couldn't blame him. I let him go hoping that this would not be our last afternoon motorcycle ride.....


“At the end of the day faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you don't really expect it. It's like one day you realize that the fairy tale may be slightly different than you dreamed. The castle, well, it may not be a castle. And it's not so important happy ever after, just that its happy right now. See once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you , and once in a while people may even take your breath away.”
~ Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy ~

2 comments:

phoebe said...

wow that sounds amazing! i've never been on a bike either. i'm glad to hear that x was trying to redeem himself after acting like an ass. bet that just made you feel all tingly inside, eh? :-)

Joe said...

That sounded like you guys had a great time. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.