Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful

There are so many things that I take for granted each and every day; my warm bed, the feeling of safety and even McDonald's. All these things I should be grateful for and I am grateful for! This morning I was able to talk to a friend of mine that is currently stationed in Iraq and it was great to hear from him and know that he is ok! That is one of the great things about myspace, while he has been away he has been able to keep in touch with friends and family. I can't imagine what all he faces on a day to day basis and I was happy to hear him sound upbeat despite being homesick about the upcoming holiday season. I tried to talk to him of fun things we'll all do when he gets home, which is still months away. All the while praying that he will be one of the lucky ones that does get to come home.

Each day so many lives are lost. And my friends and I are no strangers to it, having lost a friend in 2004 in Iraq. It still seems like yesterday that I got the call. I remember the tears, the disbelief. He was a hero just as each and every person is who serves our country..... now years later I feel relief every time I see that Marine has logged into myspace. It is our way of knowing he is still alive.

I would just like to take a moment to remind everyone to keep all of the soldiers in their thoughts and prayers! Be thankful to be spending holidays with your loved ones while they spend the holidays trying to stay alive and be thankful for our brave hero's! May they return home safely!

“It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.”
~ Norman Schwarzkopf ~

No comments: