Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

The first Thanksgiving took place in 1621 when the English colonists and Native Americans joined to celebrate the harvest. Think how different things are now. The way we as a culture have evolved, perhaps somewhat for the better and some for the worse. But each year we still spend this day giving thanks. Even though this has not been my best year I still have so many things to be thankful for. I am thankful for my wonderful family and friends. I am thankful for the roof over my head and the puppy curled up beside me. I am thankful for so many things it would take me an hour to name them all!



So after a long car ride I arrived at my grandparents. I love the warm, cozy feeling that comes over you as you walk thru the door. It's true there is no place like Grandma's. The aroma's coming from the kitchen are overwhelming and your mouth starts to water just at the thought of all that good food. I was not disappointed the food was wonderful as always. And my loving Grandma knows how much I love cornbread-dressing and as always she has made me a small pan separate to take home. Yes my heart may very well be in my stomach.



Another part I love about Thanksgiving is sitting around with my family listening to stories of the "old" days. Stories of my grandparents and parents as kids, and some of even myself. In the absence of my father we always seem to tell stories about him. Just our way of remembering him. It's always nice I love these conversations. As I have grown up I have come to appreciate and enjoy this family time so much more! It's funny how as we grow up our whole idea of what is important changes.

"In the year 1621, the Pilgrims held their first Thanksgiving feast. They invited the great Indian chief Massasoit, who brought ninety of his brave Indians and a great abundance of food. Governor William Bradford and Captain Miles Standish were honored guests. Elder William Brewster, who was a minister, said a prayer that went something like this: 'We thank God for our homes and our food and our safety in a new land. We thank God for the opportunity to create a new world for freedom and justice."
~ Linus, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving ~

No comments: